CALL TO ACTION !!!!
RDU Airport Land Use Planning
Call to Action! Help Umstead State Park from Bad Airport Ideas
Help stop detrimental aspect of RDU Airport proposed plans to William B. Umstead State Park and its Surrounds.
The airport is again considering building a runway 400 feet closer to Umstead State Park (disastrous taking of Park land via noise). They are proposing that all the forested lands at between Old Reedy Creek Road and William B. Umstead State Park (including Lake Crabtree County Park) be developed into: a rock quarry, office park, paved areas, and similar.
WE are offering a superior community vision that will assist the airport with revenue streams and enhance this corridor with a “Forested Urban Recreation Trail Center.” (and, YES, the FAA allows this use on airport property). And, yes, it would entail revenue streams for the airport via leases to brewery, bike rental, outdoor retail, hotel, parking, café, perhaps zip line, and more!
YOUR input is VERY IMPORTANT to show the tremendous public support for our vital community asset (natural forested trails)!!!
What YOU can do:
1. Submit your comments by clicking the “Comments” tab in the dark blue banner at the top of the following website: http://vision2040.rdu.com/workshop
2. Write an Editorial to the News and Observer. The more that are submitted, the more likely some will be printed. Click on this web site to submit our Letter to the Editor: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/submit-letter/
3. Talk to and email your airport board and local elected officials:
RDU Airport Authority Members:
Adirennne Cole: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dickie Thompson: email@example.com
John Kane: firstname.lastname@example.org
Farad Ali: fali@TheInstituteNC.org
Robert Teer: email@example.com
Larry Zucchino: firstname.lastname@example.org
RDU Airport President and CEO: email@example.com
Raleigh City Council members:
Sig Hutchinson: Sig.Hutchinson@wakegov.com
Jessica Holmes: Jessica.Holmes@wakegov.com
Matt Calabria: Matt.Calabria@wakegov.com
Caroline Sullivan: firstname.lastname@example.org
James West: email@example.com
Betty Lou Ward: firstname.lastname@example.org
John D. Burns: John.Burns@wakegov.com
Durham County Commissioners:
Durham City Council Members:
4. Sign the Petition hosted by TORC to save the forested lands near Old Reedy Creek Road: https://www.change.org/p/rdu-airport-authority-save-the-forested-lands-near-old-reedy-creek-within-rdu-s-project-area
Tell the airport that you:
1. OPPOSE a runway built closer to William B. Umstead State Park.
We defeated this by mass opposition by the public in the mid-1990’s. Let’s make sure we don’t have increased aircraft noise and a runway that directs take-off and landings directly over the Park Visitor Center and the Family Campground!!
2. OPPOSE a quarry built next to William B. Umstead State Park on environmental sensitive lands that drain into our Park and Crabtree Creek
3. SUPPORT a Forested Urban Recreation Trail Center that includes 50 MILES of single track/pedestrian trails.
4. SUPPORT an extended, detailed community involvement in planning the land us on all RDU airport lands on the side near William B. Umstead State Park, including Lake Crabtree County Park and lands near Old Reedy Creek Road.
We only reach out with such urgency to our friends of William B. Umstead State Park when it is absolutely necessary. We feel this is such a time for as many of you to ACT quickly and strongly. The Umstead Coalition has and is continuing to reach out to the RDU Airport and offering a visionary, community approach that will provide a great tourist destination and community asset, while recognizing the needs of the RDU airport to obtain a consistent revenue stream. PLEASE help us with this communication.
PLEASE make your comments heard !!